asembl (not so) live: comedy by teleconference #2
So, quarantine. Fun times. Especially for those of us that like to go out. Obviously, much bigger fish to fry than boredom (and thanks enormously to everyone providing essential services during this time). But still, it's boring.
We're here to help with that. With comedy on Zoom. That's as close to a live show as we can make it (except it's BYOB; yeah!). We did one of these on Saturday and it was great.
Comedy on Zoom, Here's how it works:
- Get Zoom here (it's super simple to use and free).
- Hit the "Join the show" button below at 8:00 p.m. on Monday, March 23 to join. You can RSVP and add to your calendar here or on Facebook (shudder).
- Turn on your microphone and/or camera so we can hear everybody laugh and feel together (also: behave).
- Our amazing comedians do 10 minute sets each.
- You laugh your tuchus off.
- Donate. We're not putting up a paywall since we want everyone to easily join but we'd appreciate your donating $5 (or more!). Everybody's gigs went poof so a bit of cash would be highly appreciated. Support comedians by supporting comedy on zoom.
On to the talent. First up is Tommy McNamara.
Tommy is a New York comedian. In 2019 he recorded his debut album Who’s Tommy which will be released by ASpecialThing Records. He is a contributor for Onion Sports and hosts the popular podcast Stand By Your Band. Tommy is a regular at Caroline's on Broadway, where he hosts a monthly a show and recently headlined.
He began doing comedy in Chicago, where he was a cast member at the prestigious Lincoln Lodge and a regular at the Laugh Factory. Tommy has performed at San Francisco Sketchfest, Oddball Comedy Festival (Chicago winner of Funny Or Die's Road 2 Oddball Tour), the 26th Annual Comedy Festival, Limestone Comedy Festival and many other festivals. His music/comedy shows Tommy McNamara Unplugged, Tommy McNamara's Beach Bash (featured in the New York Times), and Let Me Spend Christmas With You Family sold out venues in both Chicago and New York. He misses you!
Next up: Lizzie Martinez.
Lizzie is a Brooklyn-based comedian and writer. She co-produces Starf*ckers, a monthly show about astrology at Union Hall, and Savage, a weekly show at Black Forest in Brooklyn, which was named one of the Best Alt-Comedy Shows in Brooklyn by Vulture and Splitsider. She co-created and stars in the web series #Throwback, which was named one of the 10 Best Comedy Web Series of 2016 by Paste Magazine, and is a contributing joke writer for Funny or Die. Festivals include Boston’s Women in Comedy Festival and Brooklyn Comedy Festival among others.
Then, Chanel Ali.
Chanel blossomed on the Philadelphia comedy scene before taking her storytelling style and commanding stage presence to NYC. She’s been featured on MTVs Girl Code, Tru TVs Laff Tracks and she was recently a Just For Laughs New Face.